After over 30 years of interviewing people for various positions across the world, from junior to senior leadership, I would like to share with you some of the key points that really do matter at that all-important interview. These 5 tips, based on my personal experience as both interviewers and interviewees, really do make a big difference!
- First Impressions really do matter! How you present yourself, how you are dressed and even your handshake. A first impression is made in the first 3 to 7 seconds of meeting somebody for the first time, and you will spend the rest of your time in the interview either living up to that first impression formed or trying to change it!
- Your knowledge, experience and skills matter. However, what is even more important is your attitude, behaviour, social or soft skills and your emotional intelligence. Hard skills can be taught, but your attitude and social or soft skills are formed from a very early age and are extremely difficult to change.
- Patterns in the decisions you have made and actions you have taken. After all, your past performance is an excellent indicator of what your future performance will be!
- Tell a story. As important as the facts are, an interviewer wants to hear the story behind it. Using the STAR method (Situation, Task, Action, Result) is an excellent way of doing this. However, do remember to keep it crisp!
- Be your true authentic self. Don’t try to be somebody that you’re not. The interviewer will see through this immediately as it is difficult for you to be somebody you’re not throughout the whole interview.
At Tranziam our vision is to ignite the passion, inspire the dream and unleash the potential in every individual so that they can be the very best version of themselves. Whether you are an individual looking to improve yourself, an Educational Institution looking to support your Students and Faculty or an Organisation looking to develop your colleagues on their professional journey, we are here to help you every step of the way.
Click Here to find out more information on how we can help you achieve your goals and aspirations